Facts and figures
Did you know..?
- Research shows that library users have higher life satisfaction, happiness and sense of purpose in life compared to non-users
- Being a regular library user is also associated with good general health. When valued medically, library engagement saves the NHS just under £30 million a year
- Research has indicated that reading fiction is associated with higher levels of empathy and improved relationships with others
- Reading for pleasure has been linked to a reduction in stress, the symptoms of depression and the risk of developing dementia in later life
- 76% of adults say reading improves their life and the same number says it helps to make them feel good.
For more facts and information on reading and wellbeing, visit Reading Well – a Reading Agency and Libraries Connected programme that helps you to understand and manage your health and wellbeing using self-help reading.
Infographic: Libraries and Wellbeing
Infographic with facts and figures about the impact of libraries on wellbeing. PNG format.